Margins of Time presents works by creators who have used Yiannis Ritsos’ life and poetry as a starting point for their personal homage to the great poet. The exhibition will also include a selection of original stones painted by Ritsos from the collection of Elli and Panicos Peonides.
This project also includes:
- Remembering Ritsos: talks by personal friends of Yiannis Ritsos, Hans Hendrikx (NL,GR) and Elli Peonidou (CY) and a homage to Ritsos by Louis Perentos (CY)
- Exhibition of 66 artworks including:
- Photographs by Antigoni Solomonidou Droussiotou (CY), endorsed personally by Ritsos in 1979
- Photomontage work by Peter Lyssiotis (AU, CY)
- Poetry videos of Elli Peonidou (CY) and Louis Perentos (CY)
- Silkscreen prints by Dimitri Perdikides (GR)
- Stones painted by Yiannis Ritsos (GR)
- Paintings by Spyros Demetriades
- Archival photographs of Ritsos’ visit to Cyprus in 1979
- Presentation by George Alexander (AU) and Peter Lyssiotis (AU, CY) on the nature of their collaboration for their book, The Dead Travel Fast which will be launched by Nicholas Defteras.
The title of this event is taken from a collection of poems by Yiannis Ritsos, Notes on the Margins of Time written between 1938-1941.
Event curators/coordinators: Helene Black and Yiannis Colakides
Margins of Time is co-organised by NeMe and the Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture and is supported by the Municipality of Limassol and Cyprus University of Technology
Evagoras and Kathleen Lanitis Foundation, Limassol, Cyprus
6.11.2009 - 16.11.2009